Monday, January 17, 2011

Starting Perennial Flowers from Seed


As I dog eared my new catalogs and watched the bill go up (and up) I realized I have a strong tendency to order perennial plants, not seeds. I have cucumbers and peppers, cosmos and nigella, but I'm drawn to the photos of snazzy new perennial varieties, the flashy hybrids that you can't grow from seed. So I leafed back at the standards that have been around forever and this year I'm thinking of focusing on some of the older open pollinated perennial flowers and I'm going to try several from seed. I sowed some adorable dwarf columbines a few years ago and they've been seeding throughout the yard since then. And I was delighted last year when my Blue Flax came back lush and vigorous, so why not? They don't tend to bloom the first year, but you can work around that. It's a great way to get a whole lot of plants with little expense.
For more info- http://gardening.about.com/b/2011/01/13/starting-perennial-flowers-from-seed.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment